Re: Horrifying suggestion

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 10:48:19AM +0100, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> Perhaps a better description of how to use go-gnome might look a bit
> like this (just guessing - please don't try this unless Ethan says
> it is OK!):
>
> $ lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ > /usr/bin/go-gnome

don't put stuff randomly in /usr/bin, that is dpkg's territory, you
shouldn't touch it.  /usr/local/bin or more correctly /usr/local/sbin
is ok, but since this is temporary /tmp would be a candidate (but you
should create a mode 700 directory for root so another user cannot
quickly put a symlink in the way caausing you to overwrite an
arbitrary file as root.

but then again you should not run lynx as root! no need, save the file
in your ~/ and run it as root from there after verification.

> $ cksum /usr/bin/go-gnome
> 2779445806 34970 go-gnome

s/cksum/md5sum/

iirc cksum is very very weak, it should not be used for anything
important, instead use md5sum.  (or better GnuPG)

if helix has cksum but not md5sum then a nun needs to go slap there
hands with a ruler ;-)

> Now, look at the result above, compare with what the web site says it
> ought to be (they would first have to add this information). If you're
> still feeling cautious, then:

yes

> $ more /usr/bin/go-gnome

always a good idea, even if your not a shell script guru evil code is
usually somewhat obvious, but it depends how clever the scripter is...

> and look at the script. If all looks good then carry on:
>
> & chmod +x /usr/bin/go-gnome
> & su
> Password: [Enter root's password here]
> # /usr/bin/go-gnome
>
> ... helix gnome gets magically installed here ...
>
> # <Ctrl>D
> $

yes much better.  a few more steps yes, but you learn more responsible
admin practices and learn a few more things along the way.

> > The argument by the other poster that no-one on -devel could come
> > up with a list of problems is completely spurious, because it's
> > not like new Debian users are hanging out on the -devel list.  (I

perhaps, but it was started by a couple individual screaming about
debian gnome being complete total 120% unusable broken crap, when
challenged to answer `why?' no real substantial answers came out.

my point is not so much to say debian gnome is perfect (no gnome is
perfect <g>) but rather to say that the allegations against debian's
gnome are far too exaggerated.

but one thing that cannot be disputed:  if you have problems with
debian gnome and you do not make detailed bug reports to the debian
BTS you CANNOT expect debian to fix them.  just demanding helix be
dropped in is not reasonable right now, for one thing helix does not
appear to be distributable by debian due to questionable licencing on
some of those logos, until helix answers that question clearly and
unambiguously helix cannot even be considered for debian inclusion.
other then that the two maintainers need to work out how things are
going to be.  but so far nobody has stated any real substantial
problems with debian gnome, it is hard to fix something your not aware
of.   unreported bugs often do not fix themselves!

> The automatic bug-tracker is a really nice feature, for example.

do you mean bug-buddy?  heh -devel keeps getting spammed by redhat
users sending unexplained core dumps to the debian BTS.   looks like
its really bug-buddy thats sending the bogus reports.  :|

> I really have to admire Ethan for his loyalty to Debian, but he has
> become such an expert that he's forgotten what it is to be a newbie.
> It doesn't matter how many times one says "debian gnome works fine",
> the fact is that, for a newbie, the debian gnome installation is
> broken. If anyone disagrees with that statement, then please take
> it off the list and send flames to hugge@slash_dev.slash_null.

how about instead of just saying its broken list some concrete reasons
and send them to the debian BTS, so those of us who have forgotten
what it is to be a newbie can deal with these problems?  were
programmers not psychics! ;-)  (actually im not a programmer, more a
bofh/sysadm)

> "Linux - the choice of a GNU generation!"

GNU/Linux ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/