Re: Horrifying suggestion

I know I said it's time to close this thread, but Ethan came up with
some good points, so I'll just answer them, and (hopefully) be done.

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 10:48:19AM +0100, Peter Hugosson-Miller
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a better description of how to use go-gnome might look a
> > bit like this (just guessing - please don't try this unless Ethan
> > says it is OK!):
> >
> > $ lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ > /usr/bin/go-gnome

<!-- Snip -->

> but then again you should not run lynx as root!

Actually, the root login comes later down in my suggestion ;-)

<!-- Snip -->

> s/cksum/md5sum/
>
> iirc cksum is very very weak, it should not be used for anything
> important, instead use md5sum.  (or better GnuPG)

I _did_ look briefly to see if I could find something md5 related,
cksum was the first thing that worked. Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.

> yes much better.  a few more steps yes, but you learn more
> responsible admin practices and learn a few more things along
> the way.

Which can only be goodness, thanks again.

> but one thing that cannot be disputed:  if you have problems
> with debian gnome and you do not make detailed bug reports to
> the debian BTS you CANNOT expect debian to fix them.

Right! When I get experienced enough with Debian, I'll try to see
just what it was that helix gnome did that debian gnome didn't.
At the moment I can only be a bit fuzzy (here goes):

1) Debian gnome didn't fix it so that X  or panel gets started
after login. Look at the scenario again to see what I had to do
to fix it.
2) Helix gnome fixed it so that X gets started _before_ login!
It also started the panel, gmc and help docs after login.
3) Debian gnome didn't detect the sawmill installation, so it
never showed up anywhere in Gnome, and I was stuck with twm.
4) Helix gnome upgraded sawmill to sawfish, and defaulted to it,
even giving the option to use twm (selectable at login time).
5) Helix gnome removed xdm and installed gdm (I have no idea what
that means, but I guess it has to do with the login GUI).

> > The automatic bug-tracker is a really nice feature, for
> > example.
>
> do you mean bug-buddy?  heh -devel keeps getting spammed by
> redhat users sending unexplained core dumps to the debian BTS.
> looks like its really bug-buddy thats sending the bogus
> reports.  :|

Oops! That doesn't sound good. On my installation, bug-buddy is
supposed to ask me if I really want to send the bug report in,
and prompt for a text describing how to reproduce the error.
Can't say for sure if it works or not. Hope I haven't been doing
any spamming!

> how about instead of just saying its broken list some concrete
> reasons and send them to the debian BTS, so those of us who have
> forgotten what it is to be a newbie can deal with these problems?
> were programmers not psychics! ;-)

Again, I'll wait until I know what I'm talking about before I send
in a bug report. What's the address of the Debian BTS, please?

> (actually im not a programmer, more a bofh/sysadm)

Heh, I do love that BOFH series. You seem on the whole to be a
bit calmer than the original, though ;-)

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller
"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."