Re: Security of sudo [was: Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?]

Quoth Damon Muller,
> Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> > I use a fairly liberal sudoers setting for my personal account.  Yes,
> > this means that I'm usually only a few keystrokes away from being
> > root -- but that's what I'm after.  And a password is still required.
>
> I'm of the same opinion with regard to sudo. Basically, if you're the
> sort of person who never passes your password over the network in
> plaintext (ie., ssh, apop, etc.), then it's unlikely someone will be
> able to sniff your password. If an unpriveleged account is compromised,
> chances are it will be without the password (ie., a buffer overrun in a
> daemon running as something like nobody). Even if an attacker is able to
> get a shell running as your user, they still don't have access to the
> password file, and if they did, would have to decrypt your password.
>
> Without actually knowing your password, which sudo requires, having your
> account *isn't* equivalent to having root.
>
> Of course, I might have missed something somewhere... Anyone?

Sorry for replying to myself, but I just realised that I did miss
something...

If someone can get a shell as your uid then they could change your path
to insert a trojaned binary of sudo which could capture your password.

Oh well, back to the ol' drawing board... :)

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,