Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?

on Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 02:13:49PM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> I  have /root/  symlinked  to /home/krzys,  so my .bashrc  et al  get
> sourced  by root  as  well. Should  I  be worried?

Yes.  This is bad practice.

Changes made to your user account are now equivalently changes to root.
Data saved by root may be stored under your user account.  More
annoyingly, permissions may be mismatched between your user and root
accounts.

Don't do that.  Root is root, user is user, and the twain should never
meet.

> I understand  the privileged status of root, however, given  that 90%
> of my time on this machine is  spent tweaking  it (and not  writing my
> thesis),  I become root  about a  hundred million  times  a day.
> There is  sudo, but  my /etc/sudoers  is  getting  pretty  long  and
> some  things  like  'make install'  can't really  be done  with it  (I
> don't  want 'make'  in my /etc/sudoers).

I use a fairly liberal sudoers setting for my personal account.  Yes,
this means that I'm usually only a few keystrokes away from being
root -- but that's what I'm after.  And a password is still required.