Re: Security of sudo [was: Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?]

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Damon Muller wrote:

> Without actually knowing your password, which sudo requires, having
> your account *isn't* equivalent to having root.

It's certainly possible to build a "rootkit" style setup which would be
suitable for converting a privileged account into root.

What if I write aliases for 'ls' and other common file utilities to
conceal my existence, and install a trojan 'passwd' or 'sudo' program (or
something along those lines) which (in addition to passing all your
arguments to the real program) also logs and secretly reports your
keystrokes?

Counting on someone with access to your account to not eventually get hold
of your password, is almost like counting on a chroot() jail to contain
someone with root access.  It's a nuisance and can slow down an attacker
(or stop an inept one) but really doesn't provide much additional
security against a quality attacker.