Re: How to set the Perl include path?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 09:11:59PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 06:44:33PM +0200, Bernd Worsch wrote:
> >
> > Question A: Where are those paths defined?
> >             ($PERLLIB and $PERL5LIB are not set!)
>
>     In the source code, at compile time.
>
>     Check out the "use lib" pragma. You can prefix the @INC list.
>
> > Question B: May i run into problems when actually using the newer locals?
> >             Would it be safe to set:
> >             @INC = /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux
> >             /usr/local/lib/site_perl
> >             /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux
> >             /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
> >             /usr/lib/perl5
> >             .
>
>     I wouldn't set the entire thing manually no. Use the lib pragma.

One more remark:

Some time ago i asked on how locally installed Perl-Modules behave,
when one upgrades Perl. Which module will be used when "official"
and local variants are available? How CPAN module integrates with
Debian? etc.

Some people seemed interested and asked me to find out. Well Mike,
you answered the question: If one doesn't add the local modules to
ones standard libpath, they naturally won't affect anything.
When including them "by hand" everytime you need them the CPAN module
beeing not integrated seems ok.

Thanx
Bernd

                  bernd.worsch@web.de