How to set the Perl include path?

Hi There!

I installed perl modules from cpan using the CPAN module.
The new stuff is now stored under /usr/local/lib/site_perl.
Problem is if those modules are present under /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
(normally in an outdated version) those are used.

Well no wonder in that because my perl says:
@INC = /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux
       /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
       /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux
       /usr/local/lib/site_perl
       /usr/lib/perl5
       .

Question A: Where are those paths defined?
            ($PERLLIB and $PERL5LIB are not set!)

Question B: May i run into problems when actually using the newer locals?
            Would it be safe to set:
            @INC = /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux
            /usr/local/lib/site_perl
            /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux
            /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
            /usr/lib/perl5
            .

Question C: Could anybody tell me, why the Perl-Module-Tree seems to
            be such a mess?
	    Where can i find out about it's inherent logic?

Thanx
Bernd

                  bernd.worsch@web.de