Re: Fw: Boot-time Usenet warning on cvalle

"carolina valle" wrote:
  >Hi,
  >
  >I've installed Debian as a partition to my Windows98 laptop...I'm a new user
  >to Debian/Linux and I've been getting these emails at work. I've been asked
  >to change the name of my machine (which is apparently 'fux'), but I don't
  >know how to go about doing this. I've been getting emails like this for 2

Edit /etc/hostname; when you reboot the name will be changed.

You may also need to edit /etc/hosts.

How does the mail server at mail.yellowbrix.com know to send mail for
@fux to your box?  There must be a definition of it on some other machine
tying your IP address to that name.  That other box would also need to
be changed.