gnome shortcuts

Hey All,
Silly little question here.
I can swear I used to drag icons from the Gnome pager to the desktop to
create a "shortcut". I recently had to reinstall enlightenment (not
gnome) but when I started X again, all my gnome stuff was gone. When I try
to drag icons off the main gnome pager to the desktop, they don't
stick. It is like a paper icon that flies back to the pager. Could anyone
tell me what I am doing wrong and suggest a way to get icons on the
desktop.

I also use multiple virtual desktops and sometimes the gnome pager will be
on all of them and sometimes it will only pop up on my original desktop
but not the other desktops. Anyone have a clue about that?

Thanks so much,

D. Ghost

'space ghost using debian'