Re: Debian diskless X-Terminals

on Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 08:10:37AM +0200, Denis J. Cirulis (monster@okb.lv) wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I want to build a network of X-Terminals (Debian based of course).
> Which hardware is best for this stuff (both server(1) and clients(5)) and is
> there any Debianized way of creating terminals. I saw LTSP page and packages
> but these are made for RH.
> If someone can tell me the debians way of making X-terminals please mail me
> privately cause now i'm not in the list.

There was a recent article on this posted at LinuxToday -- within the
past two weeks, IIRC.  There may also be docs at the Debian website
and/or through Google.

Hardware depends on your setup.  For simple X Terminals, minimal
hardware (486, Pentium), with a good graphics card, high-speed
networking, and a good monitor, should be sufficient.  For various types
of local processing, you're going to want more memory and CPU.  Look for
savings in administration, not hardware, though you may see some
advantages there as well.