Re: recommendation of software to use for web-based systems?

Hello LTG,

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, LTG wrote:

> I just setup the most recent ver. of potato at home. I also have two NT
> machines.  I want to setup my linux box as a intranet server and build a
> web-based system on top of it using all free or almost free software.  It
> should include a database (like oracle),

postgreSQL is a great database (IMHO), completely for free (GPL) and
available as Debian package. There are also different interface packages
(perl, C, tcl/tk), so it is of course possible to setup web access.

> a middle tier, like weblogic,

Don't know about the function of weblogic, so can't help you there.

> and a webserver (maybe more?).

Apache. Most sites run this server. Great configurability and ability for
scripting etc. Also completely for free.

> Which packages should I use?
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just my 0.05$.

> I really just want to build a cool system at home.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tim

Regards,
Daniel