adding ftp user

I've just installed ftpd from the stable potato packages.  Anonymous ftp
cannot log in because ftp user does not exist.  I've setup a chroot jail
in /home/ftp.  What's the best way to add user ftp in a security conscious
way.  I tried useradd ftp, then in /etc/passwd I changed it's shell to
/bin/false.  Anything else I should be aware of?

I'd use scp but work's firewall has the port blocked and I'm not particularly
excited about sending my username and password for my "normal" account login so
I decided to go the anonymous way.

Bill