Re: wine (woody) can't find KERNEL32.dll

On 24 Oct 00 08:25:26 GMT, Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> wrote:
>Phillip Deackes [gsmh@gmx.co.uk] wrote:
>
>> I went through the same thing at the weekend. Just open up
>> /etc/ld.so.conf and add this line:
>>
>> /usr/lib/wine
>>
>> Do the usual ldconfig afterwards. /etc/wine.conf has changed a fair bit
>> recently so it would be a good idea to install the maintainer's version
>> and edit it to your requirements instead of using your version which, if
>> it is anything like mine, was probably created many, many versions ago.
>
>Thanks for the help!  I am guessing that the debian wine package
>should have added the line to /etc/ld.so.conf, but for some reason
>didn't --- is that right?  I'm not familiar with how ldconfig etc
>works.  I presume I just run ldconfig with no options (after changing
>the ld.so.conf file), is that right?

wine shouldn't need to mess about with ld.so.conf. The only wine
library that should be globally available is libwine (which is in
/usr/lib), the rest are helpers that only wine needs to know about.
There's a new option in wine.conf (EXTRA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH) that tells
wine where to find them, but this didn't work as it should in older
versions. In that case putting /usr/lib/wine in ld.so.conf was the
recommended workaround.

I'm running the 20001002 snapshot (built as a .deb by updating the
existing debian package) without /usr/lib/wine in ls.so.conf and it
goes just fine.

Frank