Re: aside: killfiles & mailing software

Quoth Damien,
> as an aside, does mutt have any capabilities like this? what mailer are you
> two using? i'm a vi person myself, but i've been told nothing beats gnus

I'm not sure that mutt does filtering itself - it's usually a function
of the MDA. It'll sort of depend on how you arrange to deliver your
mail. Personally, I use maildrop (strongly recomend it, very nice little
program), so I'd put something like:

if (/^From: .*obnoxious\.user@bad\.isp\.com/)
	exit

in my ~/.mailfilter file. This would just silently drop any mail from
obnoxious.user@bad.isp.com into the bit bucket. If you are using qmail,
you could put something like the following in your .qmail file:

 |preline bouncesaying "Go away!" except maildrop -d $USER

and change the above exit line to "exit 100" the mail will bounce back
to the sending telling them to "Go away!" (that's off the top of my
head, I might have got the order wrong...). I believe that if you
implement such a solution you should be able to get fetchmail to
generate the bounce, but I haven't done this myself (as I control the
upstream smtp server...).

Of course, if you are using procmail or exim .forwards then your
solution will be completely different (it often seems like I'm the only
one in the *world* using maildrop, but that's cool...). I'm sure some
knowledgeable person will help fill in the gaps.

It's possible that you might be able to do it through the MUA (like
mutt), but that's not the Unix Way (tm).

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,