Re: network config

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 08:12:33PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> yup dhcp sucks, for potato configure your interfaces in
> /etc/network/interfaces
>
> something like this:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         gateway 192.168.0.10
>
> your addresses will obviously be different.

    Cool, thanks. I guess a startup script reads this and does the appropriate
ifconfig and route commands? I like doing them manually a few times just to
learn what's going on. Hell, there's always a problem where you need the
manual commands. I wouldn't want to do it every time the system boots, but...

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX