Re: Recording mp3 files to a CD

Bob Nielsen wrote:
<snip>
> Has anyone on the list figured out how to record mp3 to a CD?   Is
> there a version of sox which supports the mp3 format?

I'll throw in a second for gtoaster.  I've been looking for something to do
MP3 -> Audio CD myself, and gtoaster fits the bill nicely.  I just got done
making my first CD with it - listening to it as I type this - and I'll say
it was well worth the download.

When you install gtoaster, it'll install a whole bunch of other utils that
it uses.  Things like mpg123, sox, cddawav, and a whole slew of others.
Basically it seems to be just a GUI front-end to all those others.  But
gtoaster certainly makes it easy to put it all together.

The only bobble I had with getting it running was I wound up having to set
the prog SUID root.  As this is a single user system, I'm not worried.  But
others might be.  I'm sure there's a better way than just doing SUID root,
but I was too impatient.  Later, I *will* be checking out how to get it
running without being SUID.  But for now I'm happy - it *works*.

Oh yeah.  gtoaster is a Gnomeified package.  As such, it depends on a number
of Gnome libraries.  The docs made it sound like it can be built from source
so that it does *not* depend on Gnome, but I didn't check that too closely
as I do use Gnome.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.