Re: Recording mp3 files to a CD

I put all the mp3's in a directory and from that directory I run the
following script.  Use the argument "clean" to first erase the cd if
it's CDRW.

###############
#!/bin/bash

if [[ $1 == "clean" ]]
then
    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 blank=fast
fi

for I in *.mp3
do
    mpg123 --cdr - "$I" | cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -audio -nopad
-nofix -
done
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -fix
###############

Mike wrote:

> Bob Nielsen wrote:
> <snip>
> > Has anyone on the list figured out how to record mp3 to a CD?   Is
> > there a version of sox which supports the mp3 format?
>
> I'll throw in a second for gtoaster.  I've been looking for something to do
> MP3 -> Audio CD myself, and gtoaster fits the bill nicely.  I just got done
> making my first CD with it - listening to it as I type this - and I'll say
> it was well worth the download.
>
> When you install gtoaster, it'll install a whole bunch of other utils that
> it uses.  Things like mpg123, sox, cddawav, and a whole slew of others.
> Basically it seems to be just a GUI front-end to all those others.  But
> gtoaster certainly makes it easy to put it all together.
>
> The only bobble I had with getting it running was I wound up having to set
> the prog SUID root.  As this is a single user system, I'm not worried.  But
> others might be.  I'm sure there's a better way than just doing SUID root,
> but I was too impatient.  Later, I *will* be checking out how to get it
> running without being SUID.  But for now I'm happy - it *works*.
>
> Oh yeah.  gtoaster is a Gnomeified package.  As such, it depends on a number
> of Gnome libraries.  The docs made it sound like it can be built from source
> so that it does *not* depend on Gnome, but I didn't check that too closely
> as I do use Gnome.
> --
> Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
>                       | everything is of great understanding,
> '91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
> Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Sociology
University at Albany - SUNY
Phone: (518) 442-4652  Fax: (518) 442-4936
Web: http://www.albany.edu/~bs7452