Re: Installing tar files

Shel Johnson <cachemonet@yahoo.com> wrote:
>--- Colin Watson <cjw44@flatline.org.uk> wrote:
>> Shel Johnson <cachemonet@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >I'm attempting to install a .tar.gz file.. I've successfully gunzip the
>> >file, but I've forgotten how to complete the rest of the installation
>> >process.. HELP!!!
>>
>> 'tar xzvf filename.tar.gz' is the usual incantation; run 'tar tzvf
>> filename.tar.gz' first to find out where it's going to put things. If
>> you've already gunzipped it, leave out the 'z' flag.
>
>Ok, I've run the tar tzvf filename.tar.gz command.. what's next??.. isn't
>there some kind of an 'install' command??

Not a generic one, no; this is what packaging systems are for. Read the
documentation in the tarball to find out how to install it. There's
often an INSTALL file. A common sequence of commands for building and
installing from source is:

  ./configure
  make
  make install (this one needs to be done as root, the others don't)

... but check the contents of the tarball first.