Re: Installing tar files

> Ok, I've run the tar tzvf filename.tar.gz command.. what's next??.. isn't
> there some kind of an 'install' command??
                         ^^^^^^^

Normally there isn't an unique install command, like unix isn't unique ...

Change to the newly created directory (cd xxx) and read the README (yes) or INSTALL file
there. A frequent procedure is
1) ./configure
2)	make
3)	make install (you have to be become root to install your compiled
program)

HTH

PD

1) I don't know which program you're going to install, but make sure there
isn't a debian package yet.

2) Maybe a basic book on linux could clarify those procedures (for free you
could have a look at www.linuxdoc.org before)

--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel
mailto: mh@seitung.net