Re: /boot

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 10:50:36PM -0200, ColdWater wrote:
> List,
>
> First of all, hi to everyone!
> Now...
> I've finished my download of CD-Binary 1 and i'm ready to install Debian
> Potato. I'm reading the manuals and, after some How-tos I intend to install
> it. (Erase the Red Hat and put it on; leaving Win);
> I have a little question and I hope someone from the list could help me with
> it.
> Even with the boot in before the 1024cil,  is it recomended to to create a
> /boot partion?
> Is it good, bad or it does not matter? What about it's size. 10Mb is enough?

i think its a better idea to split off /var /usr /home and /tmp as
their own partitions, then make / 64MB or less, then it will fall
under the 1024 cyl mark.

if you have reasonably recent hardware then the lba32 option to
potato's lilo should allow booting past that mark anyway.  GNU grub
also supports this.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/