Mail not configured. Best mail program?

Since I normally use Netscape for my mail, I didn't bother to configure
exim, mail and other mail programs that were in the default installation
for potato. But each time I run emacs, I get some stalling while it says
at the bottom : "No mail ***..., reverting to default" So, now I want to
install some mailing program to stop that annoyance, and also to try
something different. What is best? My internet connection is from home
through AT&T provider.
Thanks,
A.