Re: exim __newbie__

Steve Juranich <sjuranic@kant.ee.washington.edu> wrote:
>First off, I'd like to say that I have no intention or desire to use my box
>as a mail server, or even have mail delivered on my system.  The only reason
>that I am compelled to configure exim on my box is to be able to use things
>like 'reportbug' and 'bugbuddy'.

With reportbug, you can use the --mua (and related) options to specify a
mail user agent, which you presumably have configured properly. But yes,
Unix programs do tend to assume that there is some kind of mail
transport agent on the local machine, for historical reasons (and
technical reasons too - random applications shouldn't be expected to
know how to send mail directly, they should just talk to the local
sendmail equivalent).

>Right now, when I send a mail from my box at home (I'm sending this message
>from my school account), the mail headers come up as being sent from
>"steve@c502436-a.fedwy1.wa.home.com", which is correct.  But what I'd like
>to do is for exim to mangle the address so that it says that it's being sent
>from one of my other accounts.
>
>Is something that I can put in the exim config file to say something like:
>
>if (from_steve):
>	from = 'sjuranic@rcs.ee.washington.edu'
>
>or something like that?

Look in the /etc/email-addresses file. You can insert a line there like
this:

steve:  sjuranic@rcs.ee.washington.edu