Re: Stormix and Brokerage Fees

The problem is UPS (at least in B.C.). They _will_ act as customs broker
for their Canadian shippers and they _will_ charge the recipient a fee
unless the shipper is big enough to make other arrangements. I doubt
Stormix qualifies.

You might suggest to Stormix that they use Canada Post unless the
customer specifies (and knows what he's getting into) UPS.

The OpenBSD project mails me CDs from Alberta, and they just attach a
little customs sticker to the package. If there is a customs charge for
the Stormix package, it will always be the same; Stormix will have to
pay Canada Post when the package is mailed, and they can collect it from
you along with GST when they calculate your total charge.

Just depends on how badly they want to do business in the US.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:20, Bill Ramsey wrote:
> If you live in the US, be aware that if you order anything from
> Stormix you will charged a brokerage fee when the package is
> delivered.
>
> I ordered the deluxe boxed set from Stormix:
> Storm Linux 2000 Deluxe Edition              69.95    1      0.00
>                                                          GST: 4.89
>                                                    Tax Total: 0.00
>                                      Shipping: Express - USA: 21.99
>                                                  Grand Total: 91.94
>
> Imagine my surprise when the UPS guy tells me that I owe him $38 in
> brokerage fees !! I refused the package and I've canceled my order. I
> don't need stormix that bad.
>
> I'll just have to learn how to install Debian the hard way -- I've
> tried 3 times so far : slink and now potato. With Potato I've gotten
> X-Windows up - but I can't connect to the internet (WVDial fails with
> my ISP) and I can't print (the LP module wouldn't install during the
> installation).
>
> Just to let everyone know about the brokerage fees.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Ramsey
> bramsey@concentric.net

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\