Re: HELP - voodoo 3 trouble

hi evan,

i've tried and tried.   can't get test3Dfx to work, even as root.   it says
"can't find or access board", even though it's detected at boot time:

Oct 17 21:29:01 satan kernel: fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384K
Oct 17 21:29:01 satan kernel: fb: MTRR's  turned on
Oct 17 21:29:01 satan kernel: fb0: 3Dfx Voodoo3 frame buffer device

this does seem like a driver issue.  i can't unload the module because it's
"busy", even though nothing is currently using the module.  bleah.

linux.3dfx.com has stuff which worked when i had a suse system, but it seems
a little out of date.   i may just try that.   only comes as rpms.  yuck.

alternatively, i can try to upgrade xfree86 4.0 and hope that works.

which would you recommend?

if upgrading xfree86 is the way to go, how can i do this while satisfying
any dependencies there might be?   on dselect, i see only 3.3.6.   i assume
what i need to do is duplicate the entries in my /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free

but change "potato" to "woody"?   (i'm pretty new to debian).   then run
dselect, choose update, let it work, choose select, uninstall
xfree86-common-3.3.6 and reinstall xfree86-common-4.0.   i assume this will
take care of the dependencies itself...  right?   :)

i really appreciate this!
pete