Re: Anti-spam system

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:50:48 PDT, "John L. Fjellstad" writes:
>On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:40:37AM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:
>
>> which of course means that you should upgrade to at least 8.9.3-22 or
>>  -23[0], the latter is already in stable.
>
>My main problem wiht Sendmail is, given its history of problems, how
>certain are you that this will be the last security problem? Especially,
>now that there are other, and better, alternatives out there, postfix
>is a drop-in replacement, from what I understand, why still use
>Sendmail?

I´m quite sure that won´t be the last problem with sendmail. But I´m
 also sure that other software has its troubles too. Software has bugs,
 I know it, but as long as they´re fixed (big tnx to all the coders,
 maintainers and otherwise contributing people out there!) the choice
 comes down to which you trust most and/or know best.

We use sendmail at work, so I´m halfway familiar with it. Why should I
 spend my time learning yet another software? I´m a user, neither a
 coder nor a tester, but a network engineer. I don´t really care which
 software it is, as long as it does its job and is compatible with my
 morale.

I used exim for a few months and also installed smail once per
 accident. Exim I found too cryptic for my needs, smail was just a PITA
 to configure. So I stick with sendmail and spend my time on issues
 where I can be more productive, and, maybe some time in the future,
 I´ll be so good I´ll be able to contribute something to the community
 myself. But I´m quite sure it won´t be in the field of MTA´s ;-)

cheers,
&rw

PS: Yes, I know this is quite long, but you asked for it *g*

--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /