Re: Can apt be steered?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:55:41PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> apt should install the package with the highest version number it can find.
> You can watch what it's getting while it's downloading (or use
> --dummy-run to do a dummy run).

I didn't know about --dummy-run.  I just searched man apt-get and man dpkg
and neither contains the word 'dummy'.  I'll give that a shot.

I agree that the source of the problem is with the alternate packagers,
Helix and tdyc.  They could very easily fix the problem by changing the
names of their packages, possibly by making helix/tdyc part of the
package names (rather than, in Helix's case, part of the package
version).  However, the rest of us cannot control their activities,
nor those of debian.org.