Re: Can apt be steered?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:01:29PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:19:49PM -0700, Michael Epting wrote:
>
> > is, we get kde2 package combinations that don't work.  I'm beginning to
> > think there is a serious fundamental problem with apt...
>
> Not really.  If the packages don't work together then the packages
> should have dependancies saying that.  It might be desirable to have
> facilities to work around buggy packages like that, but in general
> the current behaviour (believe the information provided by the
> packages) is perfectly sensible.

The problem is that apt-get offers no means of choosing a site source
on a per-package basis.  That is, I want to offer preferential treatment
to Helix for Gnome stuff and maybe to tydc for KDE2 stuff (or maybe to
debian.org -- my current workaround is to comment out the tydc lines in
my sources.list and KDE2 is working much better just now).  So far, I
have been unable to find a way to figure out in advance what package
versions apt is going to install, much less which site they are going
to come from.