Re: Can apt be steered?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 06:41:48AM -0700, Michael Epting wrote:

> The problem is that apt-get offers no means of choosing a site source
> on a per-package basis.  That is, I want to offer preferential treatment
> to Helix for Gnome stuff and maybe to tydc for KDE2 stuff (or maybe to

Or alternatively, the problem is that these extrenal packages don't have
correct dependancies.  If they won't work with the standard Debian
packages they should be set up so that the standard Debian packages
won't satisfy their dependancies.

> debian.org -- my current workaround is to comment out the tydc lines in
> my sources.list and KDE2 is working much better just now).  So far, I
> have been unable to find a way to figure out in advance what package
> versions apt is going to install, much less which site they are going
> to come from.

apt should install the package with the highest version number it can find.
You can watch what it's getting while it's downloading (or use
--dummy-run to do a dummy run).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/