X Font changed after woody dist-upgrade

This may be a simple thing, but I cna't track it down....

I recently upgraded from Potato+Helix-Gnome+kde+XFree4 to
Woody+Helix-Gnome+kde+XFree4

My base font has changed dramatically - and is now *huge*

I'm running E, with XFree 4 (1280x1024)

The Gnome apps all pick up the correct fonts (as defined in the Gnome
Control Panel), but things like GDM, NetScape, XEmacs & Gimp all use
this huge font.

Where is it defined, and how can I alter it back to a more useable size

--
Ian Stuart - University computing services.