Error when mounting CD-image with loop option

I want to make backup copies of my debian CD's.  After copying CD's 2
and 3 to my hard disk with

dd if=/dev/scd1 of=cdi3

I also did it with the option bs=2048 at another time

I wanted to verify the copy by mounting it with the loop option and
then the following happens:

------------------------
$mount /mnt/oue/home/jhspies/cd/cdi3  -r -t iso9660 -o loop /potato/cd3
Invalid session number or type of track

This only happens with the binary cd's 2 and 3.  I tried another dd
with CD 3 and the same happened. Despite the error message it mounts
the image and I have access to it's filesystem.

What is causing the error?
Is it save to write a CD from that image?

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336
     "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give