Prints only PostScript files

I am able to print PostScript files with:

$ lpr file.ps

to my PostScript printer on my Debian 2.2 system.

But I am unable to print plaintext files with:

$ lpr file.txt

What packages or configuration am I missing to convert plaintext files to
PostScript and send them on to the printer.

My previous Slackware, SuSE and Red Hat systems have all been configured
out of the box to do this automatically.

The strange thing to me is that I did have this working before I started
working on the problem of why my printer was printing an extra page on
every print. So maybe I glitched something with my configuration
experiments.

My current printcap (created with magicfilter) is:

lp|hplj5mp|HP LJ 5MP:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj5mp:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Thanks in advance,
Dwight
--
Dwight Johnson