Re: Problem with '/etc/shutdown.allow'

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:54:23AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> It looks like (to me) that making shutdown setuid root means anybody
> can shutdown the computer, from any location, as /etc/shutdown.allow
> is only checked when -a is passed. Am I wrong?

no you are correct, if you make shutdown suid root the only way
shutdown.allow will work is if all users willingly use the -a switch.

sudo is really the only solution as it allows the allowed switches to
be controled.

> If I am wrong, then the documentation should be corrected for this
> special case.

no your interpretation of the docs is correct.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/