RE: apt-get: "The following packages have been kept back" - What

> What does "kept back" mean /exactly/? Can I "dpkg --purge
> task-helix-gnome" safely? My understanding is that it isn't needed after
> it has done it's duty of selecting all gnome packages that depend on it.
> Am I right?

it means that apt wants to update it, but can not due to a depends/conflicts or
missing package issue.

Yes, you can remove any task- package after using it.  However if you do so you
do not get new packages as the task changes and matures.

to find out the cause of your problems, do a 'apt-get install
task-helix-gnome', that should tell you why it is being held back.