Re: Wanted: Advice on Video Cards

I recently got myself a used Matrox Millenium (there are several---I got
the one with the 220MHz RAMDAC and 4Megs WRAM), and am very happy with it.
The online manual is available at
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/user_manuals/older/home.cfm if you want
to check out the specs.  It's an old card, but it seems able to handle
plenty of bandwidth (e.g., I'm doing 1600x1200x16@75Hz without any
trouble), and Xfree86 supports it well.  (According to the 3.3.6
documentation at http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/MGA.html, "This server is
very well accelerated, and is one of the fastest XFree86 X servers.")  I
assume it'd be pretty lame for 3D graphics and games, not that I'd know,
but for text editing and such it's great.

I paid something like $35 at a local shop, but I've seen them on ebay for
around $10.---jbf