Re: Questions About dpkg and friends

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 10:14:07PM -0700, Jeff Hornsberger wrote:
> > Hi, I just moved over from redhat and am wondering about how to do a few
> > things in the debian package management system.
> > 1) If you know the name of a file you need, but not what package it is
> > part of, what's the best way to find out what package you need?
>
> I don't know of a way to do that (it would be nice, however).

2 different programs will do this:

swim (http://the.netpedia.net) will give you full search ability (and
more) over the entire archive system.  It's quite nice.

auto-apt will attempt to apt-get any file if something calls it.  So if
you went to compile a kernel and were missing as86, it would get the bin86
package...

auto-apt is in woody I believe.

Seth