Re: apt-get upgrade behaviour versus apt-get install package with respect to netscape,

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 11:08:34AM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> >
> > New versions of  currently
> >               installed  packages that cannot be upgraded without
> >               changing the install status of another package will
> >               be left at their current version. An update must be
> >               performed first so that apt-get knows that new ver­
> >               sions of packages are available.
>
>     I'm not sure how to read that. During an upgrade, you almost always have
> to change the install status of another package, so how does that work?
>
>     Mike

Yes, I was confused too. I would like to have apt-get upgrade to
UPGRADE every package on the system with the latest version...perhaps too draconian
a feature. I was confused particularly because I couldn't get the latest netscape-4.75
without doing apt-get install netscape only then did it get rid of the older version.
NOTE I of course have the security update site listed first in my sources file and
I ran update first. Just an observation.

-walter