apt-get upgrade behaviour versus apt-get install package with respect to netscape,

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Walter Tautz wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Andreas Goesele wrote:
>
> > Christopher W. Aiken writes:
> >
> >  > Add:
> >  > deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> >  > to your /etc/apt/sources.list and do an apt-get install netscape
> >  > That should get you the 128bit 4.75 version.
> >
> I have just done the same and my version 4.73 has been upgraded via
> the apt-get install netscape directive. Why didn't this happen when
> one does apt-get upgrade? Is it because the version numbers are different?
> I have had the sucurity site listed first in the source.list file.
>
> -walter

Just to followup to my own post, I guess the following from the apt-get manpage
explains why apt-get upgrade didn't install the latest netscape

New versions of  currently
              installed  packages that cannot be upgraded without
              changing the install status of another package will
              be left at their current version. An update must be
              performed first so that apt-get knows that new ver­
              sions of packages are available.

however apt-get install netscape

does overide this behaviour. I don't suppose there is a way to get a true
upgrade behaviour?

-walter