machine hangs after buying new monitor

OK quickly before it hangs again..
can't be sure they're related, but it only started hanging after I set
up the new monitor.. new monitor means new modelines etc., so I guess it
could have  something to do  with my ati  xpert 98 putting  out higher
bandwidth.. or not at all. It did hang three times with no X running
though: one  kernel panic  after rebooting from  the first  hang, then
it hung during  fsck, then it hung at the  login prompt after entering
runlevel 1.  It's hung about  six times in  the past two hours.  A few
days ago I  tinkered with the cpu  (put in a new fan)  but no problems
until  now. Also  I  reinstalled sendmail  last  night, and  installed
mutt. OK,  I have  no idea. Tried  rerunning lilo  (in case a  bit got
flipped in the  boot image) as well as another  kernel from floppy, no
go.  Any suggestions on how to debug this welcome. Not even sure
which logs to look through and what for.. -chris