Re: Samba & Win 2000 -- [homes]

hi ya ....

stirring the pot again....

btw.... there is a samba FAQ.....www.samba.org...

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Rino Mardo wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 05:50:15PM -0400 or thereabouts, Eileen Orbell wrote:
> > I have tried and tried to get Windows 2000 to see my linux box through
> > Samba so I can share files etc.  But no matter what I tried I have no
> > success.  Is there anyone out there who knows how to do this?

> Hi Eileen.  My Win2k Pro can see my debian box and it's share thru Samba.  What
> I did is first create a computer account in my NT domain for this Samba server
> (acting as just an NT server) then adjust my /etc/smb.conf to what is suggested
> in that online Oreilly Samba book.  Anyway here's my /etc/smb.conf:

In my silly mind.... ( didnt try this experiment )...but i'd
say that your W2K machine will see the [homes] folder
but i'd hate to guess whats in it .... since "path=/home" is not defined
in samba....similarly....hate to see whats in the printers folder
since printcap was commented out too in the stanza just below [global]

	- does that mean that without path specified....tht
	samba sets its default path to /  and is now writeable to
	say /etc/passwd  since ro is turned off too...(ie that its writable )

have fun samba'ing...
alvin