Re: SPAM - [ERROR!!!] (TO ALL NEWSGROUP MEMBERS)

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 07:17:25PM -0500, will trillich wrote:

> you will probably find that you need to broadcast an email message
> sooner or later, but please do it openly and in a straightforward
> manner. don't use bogus return addresses to keep people from finding
> a way to remove themselves frmo your email address list.
>
> always consider your recipient -- give them a means to opt out,
> always, always. don't be a spamming banshee that gathers enemies
> and ticks people off left & right. not good business.

Better yet, have people opt-in instead of asking them to opt-out. I take
a very dim view of any unsolicited commercial or bulk email, even if it
does give an opportunity to "opt out".

Besides, half the spamfactories will sell the opt-out list to others as
"verified read by a human".

> i've got a service where user1@here.org can sign up user2@there.net
> -- but i send only ONE email to user2 to allow them to confirm or opt
> out, and THAT'S IT, until they confirm and join fully.

Just out of curiousity, what happens if user3@example.com tries to
submit user2@there.net after user1 did already? Or if user1@here.org
does it again and again and again?

> best thing to do is make your service or product one that's appealing;
> make a website that highlights the benefits or advantages, and allow
> folks to sign up or request more info about it.

This is great advice! Too bad everyone doesn't realize it...

--
  finger for GPG public key.