lost connectivity to ISP

When I upgraded from Slink to Potato I was no longer
able to connect to my ISP: wvdial makes a
connection(or so it seems) but I cannot run any net
applications.  I went looking for my resolv.conf file
to add the DNS of my ISP (this is how I made it work
with Slink) and found the file did not exist; I made a
file with the IP address-- but still no connectivity.
In frustration I reinstalled Slink. Guess what -no
connectivity, and no resolv.conf file. What to do? Am
I stuck in an infinite loop?
Jim Clawson