request advice

I'd like to stick mainly with potato, but I also am running 2.4 series
kernel.  The iptables deb pkg is only in woody so I dl that manually.
When I try to install it it tells me that my libc is too old.  I would
prefer not to go into woody at this time because when I did yesterday
it broke c++ or more specifically c++ compiles using setw() no longer
worked.  I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have on how I can
get iptables installed without fully going to woody.

Bill