Re: Wanna be a Debian user...

Francois Fayard <fayard@ens.fr> wrote:
>If you try to switch to Woody, it's true that you will have the last
>packages (But do you really care about the last version of Exim, Gcc ?) but
>the system will be really unstable. I think it's really a bad idea to
>install Woody for the time being.

Generally I find that it's the upgrade process that's occasionally
unstable, rather than the system itself. (The glibc upgrade was an
exception, but even that wasn't *too* bad.)

>The main problem of Potato (and Woody) : XFree 4.0.1 is not here (I own a
>GeFroce so I need it). But it's easy to get the latest sources and compile
>it on your system (using /usr/XF40 for example).

Use /usr/local if you're compiling things yourself, and then you're
guaranteed that Debian won't touch it. Of course, nothing's likely to
end up in /usr/XF40 anyway, but it just feels a little cleaner.