Re: Package manager

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:41:28AM -0300, egargiulo@netscape.net wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm new to the lists and to Debian too.
> I had installed Debian 2.2. The install process work fine but I don't
> know how to install, remove o query the packages of the distribution. I
> had used Redhat with rpm. Where can I find information about package
> manager on debian?
>
> Thanks and sorry for my english!

The base of everything in debian is dpkg. If you want to install a single
package, use dpkg -i package_file.deb. But if the package needs others
packages to install dpkg will give you an error. So don't use this kind of
tool.

So you have apt-get that deals with dependencies. All you have to do is to
put in a file where the system will find the packages (This file is
/etc/apt/sources.list) (If you've installed Debian with CDs, the CD lines
must be there).
Then to install for example wmCalClock :
apt-get install wmCalClock

If you don't know the names of the package you want to install, have a look
at apt-cache. For example "apt-cache search mp3" will give you the names of
packages that deals with mp3.

So have a look at : man apt-get
                    man apt-cache

Francois