Re: suggestions for buying a printer

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 04:19:46PM +0200, Alfredo Solano Martinez wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>     I want to buy a laser printer, and I have no idea of this field, maybe
> somenone can help.

Check http://www.linuxprinting.org for information on Linux-friendly
printers (and warnings about some unfriendly ones).  There is a list of
"suggested" printers which recommends the Lexmark Optra E312
(reasonably priced, Postscript) and some Brother models.  Based on
this, I ordered the E312, but haven't received it yet.  Lexmark has
some driver software on their site (rpm only, unfortunately) but it
should work with magicfilter or apsfilter as well.

The Lexmark driver can be converted to .deb with alien (it puts some
files in /usr/local, which is probably not a good idea, but shouldn't
really hurt).  Since I haven't yet received my printer, I haven't been
able to test yet).

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen