Re: boot-record only disk

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 05:41:43PM -0400, mike (mikpolniak@adelphia.net) wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:20:05 -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com said:
> >
> >  You should *always* be able to boot your system with a boot floppy.
> >  There are several flavors of these, including general-purpose rescue
> >  disks (including Tom's Root/Boot and a Debian install floppy), a
> >  kernel-image disk (kernel on disk), and a boot-record only disk, in
> >  which a floppy points to a HD kernel image for booting.  I prefer the
> >  latter as it's the most flexible and fastest to boot.

> 	I have been reading the boot disk How-To's, but can't
> find anything on the 'boot-record' only disk.
> 	Could you point me to the docs on this.

A LILO floppy.  From /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:

    If you want to use LILO on a non-standard disk, you might have to
    determine the parameters of your disk(s) and specify them in the
    configuration file.  See section "Disk geometry" for details. If
    you're using such a non-standard system, the next step is to test
    LILO with the boot sector on a floppy disk:

      - insert a blank (but low-level formatted) floppy disk into
        /dev/fd0.
      - run  echo image=<kernel_image>  |
	  /sbin/lilo -C - -b /dev/fd0 -v -v -v