Re: Lilo fatal error: Urgent help needed!

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 06:26:31PM +0200, Andreas Goesele (Goesele@hfph.mwn.de) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did an apt-get -f update on my Corel-Linux 1.1 (which is based on
> Debian). Everything seemed to go well, but than apt ended with the
> following error messages:

>  lilo
>
> I than run lilo again resulting in the following error message:
>
> First boot sector is version 20.0. Expecting version 21.5.
>
> While my system still runs fine, I assume that I now wouldn't be able
> to reboot. As I don't have any idea, what I could do to correct the
> problem, I would be very grateful for any help!

Check /boot for an old copy of your boot sector.  You'll probably want
to back up what you've got right now.  I like to datestamp these:

    $ dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/mbr-2000.10.10 bs=512 count=1

You should *always* be able to boot your system with a boot floppy.
There are several flavors of these, including general-purpose rescue
disks (including Tom's Root/Boot and a Debian install floppy), a
kernel-image disk (kernel on disk), and a boot-record only disk, in
which a floppy points to a HD kernel image for booting.  I prefer the
latter as it's the most flexible and fastest to boot.