Problem solved (was: Silly Problem: Unable to access deb-files via CD-ROM)

Andreas Hetzmannseder wrote:

> [...]
>
> I am attempting to install Debian from a set of official potato-CDs.
> Well, the installation process for the base system was rather painless
> up to the point when it asked me for configuring 'apt':
>
>     Choose the method apt should use to access the Debian archive...
>
> [...] the installer complained, that it could
> not find the device (which is actually /dev/hdb in my case).

After several attempts to edit /etc/fstab for /dev/hdb I realized that
the system can't recognize /dev/hdb at all. It says:

    /dev/hdb is not a valid block device

Fortunately I tried out my second CD-ROM drive (/dev/hdc) - and
it worked just fine ... apt-cdrom add ... no complications ...
simply fantastic!

However I want to be able to use /dev/hdb as well, as it is a
CD-writer. Do I have to install a specific module to make it work?

Thanks for your attention,
Andreas.