Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

I had tried ftp'ing from /debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/. It contains
far too many files to fit on a CD. And it doesn't contain the boot images and
other non-.deb stuff.

So how did I finally get my bootable CD? I (ahem)

(1) Downloaded the first 2MB's of the .iso image

(2) Loop mount'ed the partial image and then typed at the mount point
something like "find ." to get the CD file list.

(3) Used gedit to search and replace the "./" in the file list with something
my ftp program could recognize (turning for instance "./dist/potato/" into
"ftp.foobear.net/pub/linux/dist/potato")

(4) Fed the URL's to my ftp program, and waited, and waited (some more)

(5) Tweaked the files a bit to get the symlinks to work.

(6) Picked a nice boot image (which BTW is to be found in
"/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/" and not in package directory
"/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/") to feed to mkisofs's "-b" option.

(7) And burned, baby, burned.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting csj@mindgate.net (csj@mindgate.net):
<snip>