Motif and GTK menu font sizes?

Hello,

I'm trying to run a bare-bones twm X desktop without dealing with gnome or
kde, but i'm not too familiar with how to tweak my settings. I'm running the
SVGA server at 1024x768 on a 15" monitor. the problem that i'm currently
having is that the font sizes for Motif menu bars (like in netscape) and GTK
interfaces (like in gnome-apt) are too huge. xterm and other "really simple"
X clients are fine. Is there a way to tell Motif or GTK to be smaller, or is
there a global setting that they use? i tried playing with the -dpi switch,
but it didn't make any difference in the font sizes.

thanks in advance,
samuel hathaway